Question about mpz_clear

Eric M. Hopper hopper@omnifarious.org
18 Jun 2003 23:08:47 -0500

--=-zcKuDEKJ4CIEozc1nSyU

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 17:24, Kevin Ryde wrote:
> > Does this clear the memory associated with a given variable zeroed?
>=20
> No.

Yes, I checked the source after I wrote this.  *sheepish grin*  I
considered adding the feature, but decided against it.

> > Is there an easy way to make sure it is?
>=20
> mp_set_memory_functions will let you have your own free function.

Yes, this is true.  I could zero the memory then.  I would prefer not to
do it for every variable.  Only a few need it.  But, since reallocs
happen, it might be best to write my own memory management routines.

> Lots of gmp routines put operand data on the stack too.

That's good to know.  Perhaps I will make a function that grabs a 64k
array and fills it with DEADBEEF or 0s it then returns.

I think I will save this problem and put it in the 'to solve later'
category.  I'll design around the idea that a solution will eventually
have to be coded, but not implement the solution right off.

Thanks,
--
There's an excellent C/C++/Python/Unix/Linux programmer with a wide
range of other experience and system admin skills who needs work.

--=-zcKuDEKJ4CIEozc1nSyU

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQA+8TdPjtsvlOwvazYRAhEyAJ4kCv3UXDQvMLMLqUrtGggVXLxQoACfXVNI
PsslYzfEqAFYFnszsl5o2cc=
=cdsb
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--=-zcKuDEKJ4CIEozc1nSyU--