help!

Sisyphus kalinabears@iinet.net.au
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 01:10:25 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Federico Alba" <fredericks@tiscali.it>
To: <gmp-discuss@swox.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 12:36 AM
Subject: help!

Hi

I downloaded the gnu mp package.
Note that I'm a windows user (windows 2000)

While reading documentation, I read that on windows systems, I should use
Unix-Like Tools to build gmp.h on, the only header needed to call gmp
functions (is it true?).
Then I decided to download it, but on the mingw site there are too packages
for download.
Since I had no idea, I downloaded the "mingw"  package, containing all the
packages at the latest release.
I installed mingw but I still don't know what I have to do.
I did not understand how can I should run "./configure" on my system.

The windows 'cmd.exe' (and 'command.com') shells do not understand
'./configure'. You need to run it in a shell that *does* understand. I used
MSYS (as others have done) - availbale from http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml
.

With msys properly configured it was simply a matter of opening the msys
shell, cd'ing to the GMP source directory, and running
'./configure --disable-static --enable-shared' followed by 'make'.

Hth.

Cheers,
Rob