gmp-discuss digest, Vol 1 #170 - 5 msgs

Paul Zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann@loria.fr
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:30:03 +0200

   Note:
   I'd be grateful for input here, from those with knowledge of
   the MPFR functions, regarding a reasonable guess for Q.

sqrt() has asymptotically the same cost O(M(n)) than multiplication, but all
other functions (exp, sin, cos, atn) have cost O(M(n) log(n)). You might find
on www.mpfr.org/timings-mpfr2001-gmp3.1.1.html some old timings that give you
an idea of the ratio exp/mul for example. It is about 40 for 100-digit numbers.
We could improve that a lot, by using polynomial approximations for (fixed)
small sizes.

   So I have to wait for the MPFR module to be made available
   via the GMP DLL itself (and I believe this is not possible
   at the moment), or as a separate library that calls
   the GMP dll, but which can itself be easily built (i.e. so
   I could build a MPFR dll, which would then call the GMP dll).

I have to say as a developer of mpfr I don't understand either
why mpfr is not fully integrated into gmp...

Paul Zimmermann