Sobig

Linus Nordberg linus@swox.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:32:16 +0200

"Dan Oetting" <dan_oetting@qwest.net> wrote
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:27:14 -0600:

|  The problem is that the GMP mailing list allows ANYBODY to post
|  instead of restricting posts to subscribers only or verifying the
|  address of non-subscribers. Every other mailing list that I am
|  subscribed to would automatically block the virus mail because the
|  forged sender address is unlikely to be another subscriber.

There are more than one opinion about this and gmp-discuss has
actually had that configuration for a while, some time ago.  Some
people use more than one email address.  For them it's a drag posting
to lists which restrict posts to subscribers only.  There is also the
case with discussions where non-subscribers are among the recipients.
Sometimes another list is included in a posting.

Up until now we've been quite successful in stopping spam -- about
10-15 per day with zero slipping through.  Since the recent SOBIG
virus we've let through way too much junk.  We will do something about
that shortly.  If nothing else works, we will consider blocking
postings from non-subscribers again.

Regards,
--linus, List admin

"All programmers are optimists" -- Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.