Sobig

Karl Hasselström kha@treskal.com
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:25:25 +0200

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On 2003-08-26 14:52:19 -0400, Chris Saunders wrote:

> I keep receiving messages from the list stating that a message I
> have sent to the list contains a virus called W32/Sobig.F@mm. It has
> been quite awhile since I last sent a message to the group and I am
> receiving several of these messages every day.
>=20
> I have not received such messages to any other newsgroup that I
> subscribe to.
>=20
> Any suggestions or explanations?

You aren't subscribed to enough mailing lists. :-) Those virus
warnings are all over the place.

As far as I've heard, this virus causes the infected computer to send
a mail containing the virus TO a random address in your address book,
claiming to be FROM another random address in the address book. Which
causes virus filters protecting the TO address to send a rejection
mail to the innocent FROM address.

Feel free to correct me, as I've done zero research on this (maybe by
private mail, since this is off-topic).

--=20
Karl Hasselstr=F6m, kha@treskal.com
      www.treskal.com/kalle