amd opteron status re. gmp

Walter Stephan wstephan@ubishops.ca
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:18:28 -0400

Hi,

I've checked the archives and saw a thread in April where the then brand new
Opteron was suggested as a possibly very interesting cpu for gmp-intensive
applications.  I didn't find much in the way of discussion later on though.

I'm currently considering purchasing a dual opteron system to run either linux
or one of the BSD's to use as a compute server, mainly for applications which
are a mix of ordinary floating point as well as arbitrary precision ints
(with the integer gmp ops currently being the bottleneck running on an
Athlon).

My question directed to those of you who already have opterons is what is your
experience so far, and in particular how does it compare to an Athon XP?
Also, does anyone have any idea of a possible timeline for specialized opteron
support in gmp?  Even if it currently only gives performance equal to the
Athlon, if I can count on a significant speedup in a few month's time that
could strongly sway me to go for the opteron.

Thanks for any help.
Walter