Requests from Microsoft IP Addresses

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Sun Jun 18 12:05:44 CEST 2023

Niels Möller <nisse at lysator.liu.se> writes:

  Would have been helpful with a specific reference to the user and script
  in question. I would guess this revert is intended to stop the hg clones
  (instead getting release tarballs from ftp.gnu.org):

  https://github.com/BtbN/FFmpeg-Builds/commit/d75466340a9a5985e546fff9756b976727c4ab98

Interesting.

So the GMP server is "way too flakey" as it cannot accept bursts of
several clone request per second...!

We won't get an apology, I think.  :-)

I will keep the firewall rules blocking Microsoft as I really don't have
time for some more sophisticated approach here.  (I suppose a better
approach would be to slow down abusively repeated accesses, similar to
how TCP works when it encounters package loss.  A problem here was that
a large number of IP addresses were involved in the attack, it was only
after "whois" revealed they all came from Microsoft that we understood
that they likely had the same root cause.  DDoS is hard to deal with.)

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622