Requests from Microsoft IP Addresses

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Sun Jun 18 10:44:16 CEST 2023

On Sun, 18 Jun 2023, Niels Möller wrote:

> It would be reasonable for any project that wants to pull GMP sources
> from 100 machines very often to set up their own mirror, do
> *incremental* updates of the mirror rather than a full clone, and do
> that at most a few times a day.

I am not disagreeing with that (see my last sentence).

> But I don't think it's the GMP project's responsibility to provide such
> a mirror.

It shouldn't be your responsibility to not get robbed, yet you lock your
door when you are away.

I am trying to be realistic. The current trend is an ever more wasteful
use of resources in continuous integration (why would people bother
optimizing this as long as it works?). A mirror is probably less work than
what it saves, and pushes the problem to someone else (github).

Of course that's assuming the current issue is indeed a very wasteful CI
setup.

--
Marc Glisse