Requests from Microsoft IP Addresses

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sat Jun 17 16:43:17 CEST 2023

On 6/17/23 10:12, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:
> Mike Blacker <mikeblacker at github.com> writes:
>
>    Microsoft and GitHub have investigated the issue and determined that a
>    Github user updated a script within the FFMPeg-Builds project that pulled
>    content from https://gmplib.org. This build was configured to run parallel
>    simultaneous tests on 100 different types of computers/architectures. This
>    activity does not appear to be nefarious. GMPLIB appears to have limited
>    infrastructure that could not sustain the limited, yet simultaneous
>    requests.
>
> Note that this abusive traffic is still ongoing, but it is subsiding as
> I keep adding more and more Microsoft subnets to the firewall rules.  I
> have much better things to do than defend a public service web server
> against corporate abuse!
>
> What would you advise me to do, should I contact a US lawyer and have
> them send a cease and desist letter?

     I do believe that Miguel de Cervantes wrote about tilting at such
windmills in the early 1600's. Should you wish to be a wandering knight
protecting us from giant windmills then that is your choice. It is a
waste of time. Just block all the subnets as they appear and then forget
about them. Nothing else can be done with a 12 digit corporation. Been
there and done that and I have the tee-shirt.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC