mpz_prevprime

Marco Bodrato bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it
Thu Jan 30 12:45:49 UTC 2020

Ciao,

Il 2020-01-28 23:31 Seth Troisi ha scritto:
> There doesn't seem to be any objection to this change and it has good
> tests.
>
> I think the macro can be improved (and potentially expanded to
> mpz_nextprime_stride) but I hope that can happen after an initial
> version is checked in.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand which change and which macro
are you writing about.

> pulling the patch for t-nextprime.c proposed in
> https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-devel/2020-January/005672.html
> should probably be done first to simplify the testing here, I'm happy

In that message you proposed a patch to t-nextprime.c

On an ARM processor I'm playing with, before that patch:
  $ time tests/mpz/t-nextprime
  real	0m0.254s
after the patch:
  $ time tests/mpz/t-nextprime
  real	0m25.878s

So, the time used by the test is increased by a factor 100...

Keep in mind that each test is run hundreds of times every day, look at:
https://gmplib.org/devel/tm/gmp/date.html
Moreover the tests are suggested to every user to check if the code they
compiled with their tools id working as expected.

Can you explain which feature or part of code is tested with the patched
test and was not tested before? After that, it will be possible to
evaluate if it is worth patching.

Ĝis,