mpz_prevprime

Seth Troisi braintwo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 23:59:29 UTC 2020

On mersenneforum there's a prime gap search project. I tried running a
modified version of their search program.
I got VERY VERY VERY lucky and found a prime gap > 2^15 with the 4th
highest merit of *any know prime gap*.
it's a PRP with 404 digits that could replace the 454 digit prime in the
patch. Sadly it will only be 50-100% faster.

Given Marco's timing of 25 seconds (and a goal of say 3 seconds on that
machine) the start prime would need to be ~~200 digits.
The merit of such a prime gap would be 2^15 /ln(10^200) ~= 71.

I plotted the highest merit prime gap by year discovered and fitting a
trendline.
Code here:
https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1kTLxxOToqAsE_md6wGhyN0AVT2DPmasA
The trend line is an increase of ~0.5 merit per year from 2000 to 2020.
So it's unlikely we'll find a prime gap that we can enable in the tests
soon.

I still think there's value in having this test committed (but commented
out) so that people (READ: me) touching the magic constant can run it
one-off.

--Seth