New code for primality testing

Paul Leyland paul.leyland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:44:24 UTC 2018

On 21/11/2018 11:02, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:

   I table of known exponents, and then just a lookup there?  Cute idea.
   For larger exponents, we might just execute a sleep(999999999) in an
   infinite loop as the computation will be too slow to terminate anyway.
   :-)

I note the smiley but you never know, someone might want to heat their house for a few years and then contribute a check result to GIMPS.

(As for MR repeats mentioned in your other mail, I've long argued that running more than one test to a randomly chosen base is a complete waste of time.  If the test says it's composite, game over.  If it claims it may be prime you either want a slow deterministic proof or it is good enough for all practical purposes, including crypto.)

Paul