Micro-GMP

paul zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at inria.fr
Mon Dec 3 12:57:32 UTC 2018

       Dear Torbjörn,

> From: tg at gmplib.org (Torbjörn Granlund)
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 18:03:31 +0100
>
> You might be interested in GMP's asl.h, it implements artificially small
> limbs ("asl"), down to 4 bits IIRC.  The repo GMP doesn't complete its
> tests with it currently.  (A student of mine did something similar some
> years previously, but I couldn't get paperwork in order for releasing
> it.)

quite interesting! Is there any documentation how to use it?

> Some notes about our slides:
>
> First public GMP releaae wasn't 1.3.2 (sic) in 1993 but 1.1 in 1991.

my source was ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gmp/, where the first version is 1.3.2.
But indeed in https://members.loria.fr/PZimmermann/bignum/comp.ps.gz I used
GMP 1.2 from December 1991. Where can I find the first public releases
together with their release dates?

> I believe Niels and Marco wrote Mini-GMP.
>
> Not only O(n^2) algorithms; addition is actually O(n) while modexp is
> O(n^3)...
>
> The mpz_random2 function is long obsolete, mpz_rrandomb replaces it.

thank you, I will prepare a revised version of my slides.

Any other feedback is welcome!

Paul