divappr interface

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Fri Apr 27 20:28:39 UTC 2018

> Once we reach qn = dn - 1, keep looping to produce quotient limbs, but
> also discard one limb of dp in each interation, until we in the final
> iteration have qn = 1, qn+2 = 3 numerator limbs, and qn+1 = 2 divisor
> limbs, i.e., a single udiv_qr_3by2 (where we might consider skipping the
> adjustment steps). I haven't done the error analysis, but I would expect
> that errors are similar to the current code.

In the current mpn_sbpi1_divappr_q, there's a curious flag (or mask)
variable used in this loop. It's initially all ones, cleared if we ever
fail to cancel the top limb of the current partial remainder. When the
flag is cleared, remaining quotient limbs are set to GMP_NUMB_MAX.

Torbjörn, Paul, do you remember the analysis behind this? (Code is since
2009...).

I would guess it might happen that even if higher quotient limbs are all
correct, we might get non-zero high limb in

  partial remainder - GMP_NUMB_MAX * truncated D

If we set the rest of the quotient limbs to GMP_NUMB_MAX, then the
quotient should be large enough thanks to the low end divisor limbs
which we ignored in the truncation.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.