mpn_sqrtrem{1,2}

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Feb 1 17:55:24 UTC 2017

Adrien Prost-Boucle <adrien.prost-boucle at laposte.net> writes:

> Maybe the availability of SSE / AVX / NEON etc instruction sets can be
> checked at compilation time?

That's what configure (and its helper scripts) does.

With --enable-fat, we also have runtime detection on certain systems.

> The ASM version would be very easy to obtain:
> compile sqrtrem1 and sqrtrem2 (an FP implementation) on the right
> machine and keep the ASM.

Or if these are small and easy functions, write them by hand.

> There would be no dependency on libm.
> How difficult would it be to add such checks in GMP code?

It's not that hard to add new assembly files. You need to know some
assembly, of course. And be aware that gmp uses m4 to preprocess
assembly source files.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.