mini-gmp

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Dec 6 21:49:00 UTC 2017

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

> As far as I understand, the goal of mini-gmp is that a user can take a
> copy of those 2 files, stick them in his project, and get a
> self-contained program.

That's right. And preferably with a configure time option to use the
real GMP if available.

> Unless you provide a similar mini-mpfr, your
> user is going to have to install the mpfr dependency anyway, his
> project is not self-contained, so he might as well install the real
> GMP.

Even dropping only the GMP dependency is one thing less that can go
wrong.

One user of interest is gcc. As far as I understand, it uses mpfr and
mpc (for complex arithmetic) for constant propagation. Which means
pretty small numbers, and the time spent on this arithmetic is likely a
very small proportion of the compile time. Using the real GMP when
easily available is nice, but it's also massive overkill.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.