GMP work on symbol visibility

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Sep 1 14:31:54 UTC 2016

  > There are several complex issues I need to understand and resolve.  One
  > issue is how to handle (unit) testing of hidden functions.

  Do we have a lot of functions which (1) you'd want to hide, and (2)
  there are unit tests for?

I don't yet have a good idea of the number of symbols we'd like to
access but I estimate it is around 50.  If we consider
tests/devel/try.c, there will be many more.

  I see two simple solutions: Either do those unittests only against the
  static library.

We should never forget that the most important aspect of our tests is to
catch miscompilatilons.

  Or use visibility "protected".

http://www.airs.com/blog/archives/307

I wonder if one could edit the .so file and make hidden symbols visible
again.  Perhaps objcopy knows how to do that?

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622