mpz_gcd_ext(NULL, ...)

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Fri Nov 25 14:13:55 UTC 2016

tg at gmplib.org (Torbjörn Granlund) writes:

> I suppose it also implies a slight computation overhead
> to check size + low limb for the return value.

Slight enough to be reasonably for the mpz-layer, I think.

One could consider doing that only when the gcd pointer is NULL, and
otherwise return some arbitrary value. But that's not a pretty interface
to document...

> The type of the gcd function change, which breaks e.g. user function
> pointers to these functions.

You're right, I forgot about that use case.

> This sort of things probably below here:
> https://gmplib.org/devel/incompatibility.html

Agreed, and it's not obvious what's the right interface either.

Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.