Flurry of GMP check failures

Marc Glisse marc.glisse at inria.fr
Sat Nov 5 20:27:38 UTC 2016

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016, Niels Möller wrote:

> At this point in time, I think use-cases involving static libgmp.a (or
> libnettle.a) are somewhat obscure.

Uh? I have 2 very natural use cases for libgmp.a:

1) to build a static (or at least with few dependencies) executable that I
am going to send to someone else who doesn't have much control over the
computer he uses (either lack of permission or lack of competence).

2) I am rebuilding GMP on my specific platform in order to get the best
possible performance. I might as well use a static libgmp to squeeze that
extra bit of speed out of it (I might even want to use LTO in that case,
although IIRC it currently causes some trouble in configure).

Note that I do not care about security in either case.

--
Marc Glisse