Move -DNO_ASM to config.h?

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Mon Mar 21 11:20:02 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-20 12:14:49 +0100, Marc Glisse wrote:
> I am guessing that, just like they want to use the exact same flags as GMP
> to compile (__GMP_CFLAGS), they also want to mimic this part of the build
> process. I don't know if their version of longlong.h is kept in sync with
> GMP's,

We try to keep it in sync, but there's no strict dependency between
MPFR and GMP (MPFR just requires some minimal version of GMP, but
in practice, not the latest).

> but it seems likely that a user who went to the trouble of disabling
> assembly for GMP doesn't want to use that same assembly in MPFR.

I'm not so sure about that. AFAIK, longlong.h has far less asm code
than the whole GMP. So, it is less likely that a user would want to
disable asm from MPFR's copy of longlong.h.

> On the other hand, MPFR could probably add a --disable-assembly
> configure flag to define NO_ASM, so the user would just have to pass
> the same option to MPFR that he already passed to GMP.

I don't think that such an option would really be useful (unless
there is a demand for it). The user could still pass -DNO_ASM in
CFLAGS. The drawback is that the user won't benefit from the default
CFLAGS, but if he wants -DNO_ASM, this is quite specific so that he
may not need the default CFLAGS anyway.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>