Move -DNO_ASM to config.h?

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Sun Mar 20 07:50:13 UTC 2016

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

> when configure wants to define a macro, it usually puts it in
> config.h. We do have one exception: NO_ASM, which ends up defined in
> CFLAGS. Was there a particular reason for this choice?

I'm greping for its uses, and it is used only in C files as far as I
can see.

Moving it to config.h makes sense to me. If we move it, we have make
sure that config.h is always included before longlong.h. Most files get
config.h via gmp-impl.h. So, e.g., #include "longlong.h" followed by
#include "gmp-impl.h" would break.

I think the autoconf manual recommends an explicit include of config.h
(guarded by HAVE_CONFIG_H) first in every C file. We don't have to do it
that way of course, just be aware that we depart from that convention.