mpz_t caching

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Fri Sep 4 10:28:21 UTC 2015

Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> writes:

  In 2014, Patrick Pelissier (in Cc) implemented a mpz_t allocation
  cache for MPFR, redefining mpz_init and mpz_clear, in order to
  avoid some deallocations/allocations (via the indirect call to
  the allocation functions) when mpz_t's cleared and init'ed again
  a bit after. I've attached the patch that was applied to MPFR.

  I don't think that such a feature could benefit only MPFR, so that
  it may be a better idea to integrate something like that directly
  in GMP. What do you think?

I don't think libraries should hoard memory to compensate poor malloc
implementations.  If that became common practice, applications would use
more RAM without recourse.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622