GMP and clang bugginess

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Mon May 25 07:14:05 UTC 2015

  > GMP triggers bugs in clang on every platform where we tried this
  > compiler.

  It looks like it almost works on x86, except for failures with the
  (obscure?) x32 ABI.

The clang on FreeBSD 10 miscompiles GMP on for some x86 CPU subtypes.
Apparently Intel Haswell is one of these; this is currently not
exercised by our tests setup.

When I added clang testsing, I was baffled about how poorly it worked,
and didn't make a complete set.  We therefore do not compile for every
x86 CPU type, quite certainly not exposing many clang bugs which
actually affects GMP.

  BTW, it would be nice with an alternative test result page with
  problematic platforms only, or sorted with failing platforms at the top.

Not sure what you mean.  Just problematic confs, with the problematic
confs on top?  Or do you mean to put clang test results on a separate
page?

The many clang failures make the tests status look bad, as if GMP were
buggy.  We should keep in mind that to end users, a GMP bug and a clang
miscompilation will have the very same effect.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622