Quality for binary distributions

bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it
Mon Jun 22 07:36:25 UTC 2015

Ciao,

Il Dom, 21 Giugno 2015 2:43 pm, Torbjörn Granlund ha scritto:
> nisse at lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:

>   As far as I understand, it would typically affect only assembly code
>   (which is supposedly well tested and not subject to compiler bugs). But
>   if the fat machinery selects between assembly and C implementation (does
>   it ever do that?), the user could also see compiler bugs not visible on
>   the build machine.

> At https://gmplib.org/devel/GMPng.html there is an action item which
> reads:
>
>     Make GMP_CPU_TYPE fat CPU selection standard for a fat build (but
> perhaps
>     rename it to something more specific, GMP_FAT_CPU_TYPE_SELECT).
> Motive:
>     Testability.

> It can surely happen that some "fat function" are handled by asm on one
> CPU and in C in another CPU.

A "generic" (I mean, not recognised) CPU_TYPE should hit all the C
versions, doesn't it? Or we can also have different C sources compiled for
different CPUs? (e.g. selected by JACOBI_BASE_METHOD ?)
Maybe testing at least the "generic" CPU should hit almost any
miscompilation?

http://bodrato.it/papers/