Broad valgrind run

Torbjörn Granlund tg at
Wed Nov 5 21:36:23 UTC 2014

tg at (Torbjörn Granlund) writes:

  I decided to test running the nightly GMP runs under valgrind.  We've
  run valgrind manually for many configurations, but never over the entire
  set if test configurations.
  I expect to have a few spurious
  failures, but let's be prepared for some genuine failures too.  The
  first valgrind reports will arrive next night.

Time for some conclusions.

Valgrind doesn't run on all relevant machines, and I needed to manually
install the latest version on some machines where it would install.
Existing valgrind installs did not support all instructions we use in

One real problem was found in GMP, affecting 32-bit powerpc.  We used to
store things below the stack pointer, which is not allowed for all ABIs.
We still do that for 64-bit powerpc, since I believe we there follow the

We're now back to plain builds.

Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622