mpz_limbs interface

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Tue Jan 21 15:38:00 UTC 2014

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

> We already have function mpz_array_init which encourages thinking of
> the buffer as belonging to a variable,

There's a ChangeLog entry from the day before yesterday:

	* doc/gmp.texi: Undocument mpz_array_init.

I take it Torbjörn really wants to deprecate this function.

Are you using it in mpfr?

> Gratuitous extra alloc+dealloc pairs can have a horrible performance
> effect.

One can still use mpz_realloc2, which can be viewed as an allocation
hint to the gmp implementation (so in mini-gmp, it's harmless but also
mostly useless, due to the frequent use of mpz_swap).