mini-gmp

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jan 18 14:39:47 UTC 2014

Zimmermann Paul <Paul.Zimmermann at inria.fr> writes:

> I finally managed to configure MPFR with mini-gmp, and run make and make check.

Nice!

> I had to do a few changes in mini-gmp (see below), in particular I had to do
> a real "make install", otherwise it is not possible to compile a library like
> MPFR.

I think the right way is to include mini-gmp.o in the mpfr library,
e.g., by having configure.ac add mini-gmp.o to LIBOBJS.

> The most wanted are the mpn division functions, I wonder why those functions
> are not exported.

I think the main reason is that the interface of the internal division
functions in mini-gmp, in particular mpn_div_qr, is quite different from
the older interface used in gmp. And gmp is slowly moving towards an
interface more like the one in mini-gmp. So when the real gmp gets a
public function mpn_div_qr, mini-gmp's version should also be exported,
and we should make sure that it's compatible.

Precisely which division functions are you missing? mpn_tdiv_qr? It
would make some sense to add an mpn_tdiv_qr to mini-gmp, as a small
wrapper around mpn_div_qr.