error handling

shoup at cims.nyu.edu shoup at cims.nyu.edu
Wed Dec 17 15:56:28 UTC 2014

I agree that these global pointers to functions have a number
of problems.

I was going to say that for some situations, it would be better
to have these choices made and compile/link time rather than run time.
But I see from what you say that there are more complex scenarios
to consider...oh well...for these situations that you mention,
one way to deal with them in a way that proovides more
backward compatibility would be to have a global (actually,
thread local) context for all this stuff that a client could
backup and restore (and a C++ client could use RAII for this).

Anyway, just a thought...it's pretty ugly, too...

Another observation: your idea for packing "handler info" in GMP
structs would not work for clients (suchy as my own library) that
use GMP only at the mpn-level.  Of course, such clients probably
have less interest in controlling the memory allocation of GMP,
as the only memory to be managed here is the temp space
needed by the mpn-level routines.  However, error handing is
still an issue here.

[ NOTE: you said you moved this from gmp-devel thread, but I hit
reply-all and it seems like I'm posting to this thread...sorry about that ]