Most popular GMP downloads

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Thu Apr 24 08:29:01 UTC 2014

Richard Biener <rguenther at suse.de> writes:

> In the past it was also that the in-tree
> build variant (that is recommended if you don't have a system
> installed version that works) broke with newer versions due to
> changes in the build system of gmp/mpfr/mpc.  This is why we
> usually recommend to go _exactly_ with the version we tested

It makes some sense to document which version was tested for in-tree
builds (for each gcc release), and recommend the same for users also
doing in-tree builds. But shouldn't using the installed versions of
these libraries be the common case? And as long as gcc doesn't depend on
undocumented features, using the latest version should give fewer
problems than using some ancient one.