Most popular GMP downloads

Andreas Enge andreas.enge at inria.fr
Wed Apr 23 16:50:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 01:13:32PM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
> Like the following?  I'll commit it if you think that is ok.

I think this would be quite helpful already, unless it will cause a
diplomatic incident with the people working on my bug report.
But you may wish to check the actual minimal requirements, I think
they are higher:

> -Necessary to build GCC at .  If a GMP source distribution is found in a
> +Necessary to build GCC at .  It can be donwloaded from @uref{https://gmplib.org/}.

Typo in "downloaded".

> - at item MPFR Library version 2.4.2 (or later)
> + at uref{http://www.mpfr.org/}.  Older versions than 2.4.0 will not work.

> - at item MPC Library version 0.8.1 (or later)
> + at item MPC Library
> +0.8.0 will not work.  If an MPC source distribution

I think here it really is 2.4.2 and 0.8.1 and not the .0 release.

> Note that we intentionally allow "old" versions to work to don't increase
> the burden of compiling new GCC versions on old platforms.

Well, that is okay, people having these old versions installed (who should be
fewer and fewer, even my stable debian ships gmp-5.0.5) can still use them
at their own risk. The problem is with newbies being enticed to expressly
download and install outdated versions.

Andreas