Most popular GMP downloads

Torbjörn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Wed Apr 23 09:36:51 UTC 2014

Thanks for some background on this issue!

I was aware of that gcc recommends GMP 4.3.2, but not the full extent of
this their recommending.  Why 5.1.1 is also popular is harder to guess.
(The 4 year old 4.3.2 is at least the last in a series, the 2nd most
popular 5.1.1 has two newer releases in its series.)

(Partial?) list of fixes we should request:

* Avoid wordings like "MPFR Library version 2.4.2", instead use "MPFR
  Library of a recent version.  Older version than 2.4.2 will not work"
  This applies to at least GMP, MPFR, MPC, ISL, CLooG.

* Stop distributing (via ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/)
  severely obsolete version of Free Software.  Link to'em, dammit, or at
  least don't neglect to update this cache of obsolete software for more
  than 4 (!) years.

* Make link from gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html to to
  https:/gmplib.org/ (most other links seem to be there).

Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622