while you are looking at the repo-usage

roger golliver roger.a.golliver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 16:01:59 UTC 2013

IT

I was using the old versions of automake autoconf and libtools, first tried
to run .bootstrap in gmp-5.0 and i was getting an error there with the new
tools.  I installed the old ones as they were listed as working for
gmp-5.0. (The error was in aclocal.)

  hg clone http://hg.gmplib.org:8000/gmp-5.0 gmp-5.0
  requesting all changes
  adding changesets
  adding manifests
  adding file changes
  added 13588 changesets with 29531 changes to 2406 files (+5 heads)
  updating to branch default
  1408 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
  $cd gmp-5.0
  $ nohup ./.bootstrap;
  nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ‘nohup.out’
  $ cat nohup.out
  aclocal: warning: autoconf input should be named 'configure.ac', not '
configure.in'
  configure.in:2232: error: automatic de-ANSI-fication support has been
removed
  /usr/share/aclocal-1.13/obsolete.m4:26: AM_C_PROTOTYPES is expanded
from...
  configure.in:2232: the top level
  autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
  aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1

with the older versions of the tools installed i still got some warnings

   aclocal: warning: autoconf input should be named 'configure.ac', not '
   configure.in'
   configure.in:2232: error: automatic de-ANSI-fication support has been
    removed
    /usr/share/aclocal-1.13/obsolete.m4:26: AM_C_PROTOTYPES is expanded
from...
    configure.in:2232: the top level
    autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
    aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
    Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
    libtoolize: `config.guess' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
    libtoolize: `config.sub' exists: use `--force' to overwrite
    Useless use of /d modifier in transliteration operator at
    /tmp/local/share/automake-1.8/Automake/Wrap.pm line 60.

which made me think that there might be other tools that needed to have
older versions installed.
(I thought maybe m4 as it was the first to have an exit status:1)

I had been building gmp-5.1 and gmp-dev with the old tools, after i
installed them for gmp-5.0, but I just now noticed that gmp-dev and gmp-5.1
recommend more recent versions of autoconf, automake and libtools.  I use
the new versions with 5mp-5.1 and gmp-dev  when i return from SC13.

Roger