gmp-devel list

Vincent Lefevre vincent at vinc17.net
Wed Mar 6 10:45:48 CET 2013

On 2013-03-06 09:53:05 +0100, Paul Zimmermann wrote:
>        Niels,
>
> > We need a forum for both posting patches, and discussing the same
> > patches. To me, it seems easiest to have both on the same list.
>
> however maybe not all people on gmp-devel are interested by the
> detail of all patches and the corresponding discussions?

I'm not interested either, but devel lists are also for this purpose.
Discussion of some patches can also be technical. The list could be
split, but it may be difficult to define what should be in each list,
with the risk of people posting to the wrong list, leading to moving
from one list to the other and increasing confusion. And...

> Personnally I subscribed to gmp-devel to be informed about new ideas
> or new algorithms being implemented in GMP. I expected a low rate of
> about one message per day, which was the case in 2012. So far in
> March we have over 100 messages in less than 6 days! I'm sorry I
> cannot follow so many messages thus if this continues I will have to
> unsubscribe.

This seems to be quite exceptional. Would it be worth to split the
list just because of exceptional message rate in some periods?

In particular, IIRC, the messages concerning the patches and the
discussion were properly tagged with PATCH. So, if you knew you
weren't interested in them, you could remove all of them easily.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>