[patch] add x32 support

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Jan 10 21:46:55 CET 2013

Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> writes:

  On Thursday 10 January 2013 15:05:12 Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
  > Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> writes:
  >
  >   looks like support for the x32 ABI slipped through the cracks.  here's
  > the patch updated to latest hg branch (http://gmplib.org:8000/gmp).
  >
  > What is this?  Please give some context.

  a simple google for "x32 abi":
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI
  https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/

Right another ABI.

I was mainly concerned about your statement that "the x32 ABI slipped
through the cracks".  I cannot find any prior communications about this.

How could I test this?

(I wonder if this can become a robust ABI with current hardware, unless
we pay a major performance price.  It seems like address arithmetic by
means of hardware indexing, lea, etc, will be 64-bits, while we want to
compute mod 2^32.)