Side-channel silent modular inverse

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Thu Dec 26 21:38:24 UTC 2013

Torbjörn and I have been talking a about maybe adding more side-channel
silent functions for the next release in the not very distant future.

Here's a sketch for the side-channel silent modular invert function
(untested, but adapted from a working function I wrote for Nettle last
spring).

As you can see, it depends on a couple of other functions,
mpn_sec_add_1, mpn_cnd_neg, mpn_cnd_swap, mpn_sec_eq_ui, which would
probably have to be written in assembly to ensure that they avoid
operations with branches or data-dependent timing.

This version returns a success/failure indication, with failure if gcd
(a,m) != 1. Not sure if is an important feature, but on the mpz level I
think it would be nice with an mpz_sec_invert with an interface similar
to mpz_invert.

The actual algorithm is novel. I did some search before I came up with
this method almost a year ago, and I didn't find anything. It's based on
similar ideas as gmp's gcd_1, with additional logic to arrange it to
divide out only a single factor of two in each iteration (and not a
varying *power* of two, as in the standard binary gcd algorithm).
There's now one paper referencing the algorithm,
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-40588-4_10 (preprint:
http://conradoplg.cryptoland.net/files/2010/12/mocrysen13.pdf)

And its some 10 times slower than mpn_gcdext, using Lehmer's algorithm.

Question is, can we get this, and related functions, in release-shape
including tests and documentation, in a couple of weeks?