Licensing issue with gnutls and gmp

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu Aug 22 21:32:40 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM, Niels Möller <nisse at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Would it be possible to dual license the next GMP release under the
> > LGPLv3+ and  GPLv2+ licenses? I heard that it might be possible to do
> > that.
>
> That has been discussed. I think it makes a lot of sense, but it's
> unlikely to happen any time soon.

So as I understand the current situation with gmp is that only version
4.2.1 can be used by GPLv2 applications. This only allows the choice
between the distributions shipping gnutls with the ancient gmp 4.2.1, or
gplv2 applications not using gnutls at all. I don't understand your
decision, but I hope that there is a reason for it.

regards,
Nikos