GMP 5.0.5 build fails with tcc due to x86_64 asm (unknown register...)

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Wed Jun 20 21:26:18 CEST 2012

bodrato at mail.dm.unipi.it writes:

  tmp-amd64call.s:120: error: unknown opcode 'movq'

  Even with the "--disable-assembly" option given to configure, "make check"
  is asking to the compiler to assemble a .s file. It didn't happen with the
  "--host=none" option given to GMP-5.0 .
  If you have some suggestion about how to fix this, I'll be happy to try!

Let's first decide if it is worth spending time on.  Just because
somebody writes a "compiler" doesn't mean taat we need to feed GMP to
it...

Does anybody really need to use tcc for compiling GMP?

Does this compiler have its own (very limited) assembler build-in?

Does it understand *any* standard syntax assembly?  (By standard, I mean
ELF ABI defined, basically.)