Sandybridge addmul_N challenge

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Thu Feb 23 21:38:27 CET 2012

  For the recurrency, the inputs are c0, c1, and the outputs are r1, r2.
  Let's write the interesting instructions out and unroll twice (using
  different registers),

          add     c0, r0		C  0  6
          adc     c1, r1		C  1  7
          adc     $0, r2		C  3  9

          add     r1, c2		C  3  9
          adc     r2, c0		C  4  10
          adc     $0, c1		C  6  12

  So the recurrency, for one iteration, seems to be just 3 cycles. But the
  loop mixer doesn't find anything faster then 6.36 cycles for one
  iteration, or 3.18 per limb product. Which isn't too bad (a slight
  improvement over 3.24, which I think is the best reported earlier), but
  stubbornly above 3 c/l.

I am playing with this block:

carry-in lo in r14
carry-in hi in rcx
        mov     0(up), %rax
        mul     v1
        mov     8(rp), %r8
        add     %rax, %r8
        mov     %rdx, %r9
        adc     $0, %r9
        mov     8(up), %rax
        mul     v0
        add     %rax, %r8
        adc     %rdx, %r9
        mov     $0, R32(%rbx)
        adc     $0, R32(%rbx)
        add     %r14, %r8               C 0
        adc     %rcx, %r9               C 1
        adc     $0, R32(%rbx)           C might be removed
        mov     %r8, 8(rp)
carry-out lo in r9
carry-out hi in rbx

This is not identical to your block, I think.  It runs at exactly 3 c/l.
The recurrency path is extremely shallow, at 1.5 c/l.

If we slightly restrict the operand range, we could remove the indicated
carry propagation insn.  Then the code runs at 2.8 c/l.

Neither is decoding bandwidth limited,

It is further possible to supplant the 'mov $0,reg' and following 'adc
$0,reg' with 'setc reg'.  This creates a false dependency (on the upper
56 bits) and seems to run at about the same speed.

The plain code (i.e., the code which runs at 3.0 c/l) runs at 3-epsilon
if the lea pointer update insns are removed.  This is a good sign,
proving there is no magic stopping us at 3 c/l...

  > My experience of Sandybridge is that with load/store coding style, the
  > CPU typically executes 3 insn/cycle unless there is a recurrency
  > dependency stopping that.

  If we could get there, the above loop should run just below 3 c/l.

I was obviously wrong.  :-(

  Hmm. Last time I looked at that was in a 32-bit context. There's a
  32x32->64 instruction which might be useful for a 32-bit build, at least
  in theory, but as far as I can find in the manual, the latest
  ss*-extensions don't provide any wider multiplication than that.

I believe that insn is used for 32-bit builds, where it helps.  Much
improvments could be done for 32-bit builds, if one care

(I see a new mail has arrived, will read now.)