Generated files in the repo

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Sat Dec 29 13:37:17 CET 2012

  > Are there any reasons to keep such files in the repo?

  I don't think so.

OK, so I went ahead and removed them.  There should be no difference to
releases.

I discovered this when I found that the release scripts made tar files
with updated files, while the nightly snapshot scripts made tar files
with the outdated files from the repo.

I think the cause for this was the different time granularity of the
filesystems at /tmp and /var/tmp.  One uses granularity of 1 second, one
is more accurate.  That in turn made the slightly different checkout
times of source files and generated files to be visible, the other made
the times look the same.