long long

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Aug 1 22:04:45 CEST 2012

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

> Ok, now I've criticized intmax_t enough,

I guess this is an age old problem of backwards compatibility. As I have
understood it, originally in C, long was intended to be the largest
integer type supported by the compiler, which was usually 32 bits. When
64-bit arithmetic was introduced, long couldn't be extended to 64 bits
for fear of breaking too much old code, and thus long long was invented.
And now intmax_t is suffering more or less the same process as long...