Unused code

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Sat Apr 14 12:29:44 CEST 2012

  > Are you aware if any more files or functions that are unused?

  I suspect quite a lot of the "new" (since a couple of years now...)
  division code is not used by any advertised mpn_function.

*One* C division function indeed seem unused.

The main problem in mpn is hgcd_jacobi.c, hgcd_reduce.c, jacobi.c since
these are probably actually used, only not properly tested.

Then we have remove.c and mod_1_3.c and bdiv_qr.c which are unused and
untested.

I am looking at:
http://hydra.nixos.org/build/2404372/download/1/coverage/mpn/generic/

The unused toom functions are not spotted by Hydra since they are
tested.  What we need for that is a list of documented function, then
form a graph with these functions as roots, and traverse the call graph.
Unreachable nodes are the interesting ones.  A shell script playing with
nm and ar should do it.  Perhaps that would unvover more unsed division
code...

(Hydra is somewhat confusing, with many unexplicable failures and links
leading in circles.  It took me quite a while to uncover the page
above.)