HGCD_REDUCE_THRESHOLD

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Sat Nov 12 20:59:19 CET 2011

> I tried adding param.max_size = 10000 to tune_hgcd_reduce, and on
> shell.gmplib.org I now get 3681.  Measurements become very slow, one
> might want to set a coarser step factor too.

I tried some values, amd I think max_size = 10000 (or something a bit
smaller, 5000 or 7000) and step_factor = 0.4 should give reasonable
tuning time. When I run ./tuneup -t here, I get

#define HGCD_REDUCE_THRESHOLD            ...
sizes 30 to 9748 total 162 measurements
#define HGCD_REDUCE_THRESHOLD             2205

I'm considering checking in that change.

BTW, it would be nice if tuneup -t also showed the total running time
for each (or most) tuned threshold.

/nisse

PS. Thanks for adding the new thresholds on the web page, even before I
got around to asking you for it. ;-)