Updating configfsf.*

Torbjorn Granlund tg at gmplib.org
Tue May 3 21:36:22 CEST 2011

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse at inria.fr> writes:

  Indeed they overwrite config.guess with configfsf.guess, which is
  wrong. They are probably doing it so the resulting package is
  portable, but I guess they should use --enable-fat instead (or maybe
  --build=`./configfsf.guess` if they are tight?).

The latter still is not robust, since we don't make any promises about
the existence of configfsf.guess.  (They could provide their own
config.guess, stored outside of GMP, though.)

  And they also seem to have CXXFLAGS that override the gmp ones (only
  on Darwin).

  However that doesn't seem to be the only cause of their trouble, at
  least the libtoolize patch is needed there.

Why is that needed?  To me, it seems libtool is not passing the options
it passes on other darwin systems.  Something is causing this non-
standard behaviour.

  I'll try and get their build options in line.

Please explain why it is important for a public test setup to follow
documented build instructions:

(1) Bogus test failures waste time for developers.

(2) If they tinker and break things, it reflects badly on the package
    developerts, while it should actually reflect badly on the
    tinkerers...

(3) Most users are much more likely to follow documented build
    procedures, and thus we would like to make those as resilient as
    possible.  (Making it resilient against mindless tinkering is
    futile.)