Testing static and shared builds

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Mon Mar 28 16:51:52 CEST 2011

> nisse at lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:
>
>   I don't think it makes much sense to have make check handle this.
>
> Why not?

Because when I run make check, I expect it to test precisely the
configuration I selected when earlier running ./configure.

I think it would make more sense to have a check-all shellscript, which
would do something like

  for abi in `available-abis`; do
    mkdir build-$abi-shared;
    (cd build-$abi-shared \
        && ../configure ABI=$abo --enable-shared \
        && make && make check)
    mkdir build-$abi-static;
    (cd build-$abi-static \
        && ../configure ABI=$abo --disable-shared \
        && make && make check)
  done

and encourage users to run that for more extensive testing. Maybe the
same script could be used by the test machines.

Or maybe it should be a make target rather than a shell script (which
helps if one wants to let configure figure out available ABI:s). But it
should create new build directories and not touch the configured build.
I don't think it should be the standard make check target.