GMP transition: 4.3.2 to 5.0.1?

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Sat Mar 19 11:10:24 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 09:07:44 +0100, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:

> "Steve M. Robbins" <steve at sumost.ca> writes:
>
>   Dear GMP Developers,
>
>   Is the following characterization of the changes between
>   4.3.2 and 5.0.1 accurate?
>
>   On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 03:30:45PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
>
>   > As far as I can tell, the
>   > incompatibilities introduced in gmp 5 are the removal of mpn_bdivmod and
>   > mpn_neg_n, and the rest of the functions should stay compatible between
>   > gmp 4 and gmp 5.
>
> I think that if you mention mpn_neg_n, you need to make your list
> longer.  There was never documentation for mpn_neg_n, just like for
> dozens of other internal functions that were removed.

I was going by the gmp.h changes.  The declarations removed from that
file appear to be for just these two, not dozens of others.

> I think those using internal functions are on their own.

Even better then.  My concern was to make reasonably sure we could have
libgmp.so.3 and libgmp.so.10 coexist for a while in the Debian archive,
and that the risk of crashes due to both versions being loaded in the
same address space would not be too high.  Removed functions aren't a
problem for this.

Cheers,
Julien