gmp_printf bug?

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Wed Aug 10 12:18:53 CEST 2011

Vincent Lefevre <vincent at vinc17.net> writes:

> I've attached a small program I've written that shows how this can
> be done. It uses double-precision arithmetic, but of course, the
> same algorithm works in fixed point (so that mpz can be used). With
> the included parameters, it can compute log2(x) with x between 1 and
> 2^64 at least.

Hmm, it starts by computing a table using log1p, with the value
log_2(1+2^k) for various positive and negative integer k. Do I
understand that correctly?

Then, the method seems suitable for computing log_2 at run time, but not
so suitable in the bootstrap context where we want to tabulate certain
logarithms, without relying on other tables, (or on floating point
operations).