gmp_printf bug?

Niels Möller nisse at lysator.liu.se
Thu Aug 4 21:13:08 CEST 2011

> Given the limited use of the code, I was thinking of computing with many
> extra bits, simply checking that no final value is close to a tie case,
> and abort if that happens.

Sounds reasonable to me, but it would be nice to define rigorously what
thresholds should be used to define the "tie cases".

> The code should also generate floor(B*log(b)/log(2)).  Then we can get
> rid of all floating point arithmetic in GMP, including very slow
> floating point divides.

Could be done essentially with the same algorithm, but tabulating the
roots two; there's no need to recompute them for each base. Right?

And then it should also be reasonbly wasy to go from one table to the
other (just have to think a little bit about rounding directions), so
this may be a faster way to compute the log(2)/log(b) table as well.

Regards,
/nisse