mpn_rootrem

Paul Zimmermann Paul.Zimmermann at loria.fr
Wed Sep 29 08:56:13 CEST 2010

       Hi,

we are currently working on improving the efficiency of MPFR. There are two
ways:

(1) implementing faster algorithms
(2) making better use of GMP mpn functions

For (2), we need that the functions we use are in the documented API of GMP.
However some nice functions that we could use are not (yet) documented:

* mpn_div_q (gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-devel/2010-September/001651.html)

* mpn_rootrem, which is faster than the documented function mpn_sqrtrem when
  computing a square root without remainder

Is there any plan to document mpn_rootrem, or to improve mpn_sqrtrem in the
case R2P=NULL so that it is as efficient as mpn_rootrem with remp=NULL and k=2?

Paul Zimmermann