Improving GMP configure

Vincent Lefevre vincent+gmp at vinc17.org
Tue Nov 30 14:45:10 CET 2010

On 2010-11-29 20:56:20 +0100, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
[...]
> Now, how should GMP choose compiler and ABI under the new 'default'
> feature?
>
> This example might seem contrived, but I am afraid it is perfectly
> realistic.  GCC 4.3.2 works in 32-bit mode, but any 64-bit backend is
> badly broken.

Choosing in place of the user is not obvious, in particular if
instead of GCC 4.3.2, a compiler with other problems is chosen.
I've spent several hours on the following problem found earlier
today:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2010-11/msg00341.html

All this started with the following warning:

patate% gcc-4.3 tst.c -o tst -lmpfr -lgmp
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgmp.so.3, needed by /home/vlefevre/tmp/mpfr/lib/../lib/libmpfr.so, may conflict with libgmp.so.10

and I don't know the consequences...

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>