Mistake with mpn_sqr_n

Vincent Lefevre vincent+gmp at vinc17.org
Mon Nov 15 16:37:19 CET 2010

On 2010-11-10 14:56:47 +0100, Torbjorn Granlund wrote:
> In GMP 5.0, we introduced mpn_sqr as a documented function.
> There had been an internal function mpn_sqr_n before.
>
> Now, after a bug report (1) I realise that mpn_sqr_n is documented in
> GMP 4.3.2 (but not in GMP 4.3.1).  That was never our intention; we
> don't want mpn_sqr_n public, and a patch release should certainly not
> change the API.

According to the GMP 4.3.2 source, mpn_sqr_n doesn't appear at all
in gmp.h; there's just a mpn_sqr_n macro in gmp-impl.h, so that
I don't see how it could be used under normal use, even though it
was documented.

FYI, the MPFR code refers to mpn_sqr_n, but under normal builds,
this is just a macro defined by MPFR (really, I think it shouldn't,
but this comes from old code). MPFR can use GMP's mpn_sqr_n only
if MPFR was configured with --with-gmp-build, but in such a case,
versioning and things like that are not supposed to be supported.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>